[pct-l] Section E - Cameron Ridge segment - Vicious Dogs

--
Hi to all!
I Live in Southern California and have been segment hiking the PCT time per=

Last Thursday 10/24/02 I hiked the Cameron Ridge segment from, Tehachapi-Wi=
llow Springs Road to Hyw 58.

When descending from the ridge to Cameron Cyn Rd I heard the clinking of me=
tal on metal right behind me, I turned around to see 2 dogs charging me! Th=
e lead dog  was right in front of me and I gave him a swift kick in the fac=
e, and the 2 dogs backed off, snarling and barking getting ready for anothe=
r charge. I picked up several rocks and screamed at them to go away! and I =
then advanced on them though still snarling and barking with fur and tails =
straight up they left.

I got down to Cameron Cyn Rd and got my cell Phone out and contacted Kern C=
ounty Animal Control Dept. They were less than enthusiastic about taking a =
report and only took my name and number after I insisted along with a descr=
iption of the dogs.

When I got to my motorcycle I had stashed at Hwy 58 I rode back along Camer=
on Canyon Rd, knocking on the door of every house along the way, I located =
the owner, who disbelieved my story and was outraged I had kicked his vicio=
us dog, in self-defense, after being attacked from behind without the sligh=
test provocation.

I left and went to my truck on Tehachapi - Willow Springs Rd and drove to t=
he Kern County Animal Control Office in Bakersfield @ 201 S Mt Vernon Ave j=
ust off Hwy 58. I spoke with Fred May the patrol Officer for that area and =
he assured me the owner would be put on notice to keep his vicious animals =
locked up. Further he assured me they would patrol the area to insure these=
 dogs weren't out on the loose any more.

Despite Officers Mays assertions, I am not too sure the owner will comply a=
nd will continue to allow his vicious animals to roam freely, attacking wha=
tever and whomever they want.

If anyone out there has been similarly attacked or is attacked in the futur=
e PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE contact Animal Control before these dogs really hurt=
 some one, had I not heard them a few milliseconds before, they would have =
knocked me down and been on top of me in no time!

Emergency Contact Information: Before 8:00 a.m. and after 5:00 p.m.
Monday - Friday, Saturday - Sunday, Holidays call Kern County Communication=
s Center at (661) 868-4076

County of Kern
Animal Control Services

Bakersfield Animal Shelter                                Map to Bakersfiel=
d Animal Shelter
201 South Mount Vernon Avenue, Bakersfield 93307
(661) 868-4685

Mojave Animal Shelter                                     Map to Mojave Ani=
mal Shelter
923 Poole Street, Mojave Airport, Mojave 93501
(661) 824-1030