[pct-l] Hello - PCT costs

In a message dated 10/26/2002 11:46:14 AM Eastern Standard Time, m.karon@at=
tbi.com writes:

> The cost of doing a long distance hike has been discussed on and off on t=
his
> list. I don't  think anyone can definitively say what it costs, nor what =
it
> will cost you. I really never kept track, but it really was not all that
> costly. I'm going to suggest that you do your own math
> depending on your
> expectations.

I find the discussion of the cost of a thruhike to be annoyingly imprecise =
when we compare it to discussions that go on about pack weight or food, whe=
re hundreds of options greet the hiker, yet are discussed with fervor down =
to the last tenth of an ounce.

Yet all I ever hear about cost of a thruhike is the vague generalities such=
 as I've excerpted above which are useless in assisting someone trying to p=
repare for his or her thruhike.  Yes, there are tremendous variables, and o=
ne person's thruhike may be triple the cost of another's.  Doesn't anyone k=
eep track of their costs, and if so, could you share the details to help th=
e upcomping class of hikers?  Can't we be more helpful than saying "caveat =
emptor" which, I guess, in internet parlence translates to YMMV?  Does anyo=
ne budget dollars with the same care as they do calories?

Being a CPA, I'm sure there is more to be learned about trail finances if o=
nly we talk about it.  It merits a seminar at a future Gathering, though I'=
ve never heard it discussed in depth at any of the four I've attended so fa=
r.  Since ALDHA has existed for over twenty years without a formal accounti=
ng system, maybe I shouldn't be surprised!

Anybody willing to rise to the bait?

Happy trails,

Solar Bear
ALDHA Treasurer