From: "Reynolds, WT" <reynolds@ilan.com>
To: "'Jen Schaeffer'" <sprout896@hotmail.com>;
<pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 7:31 PM
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Shires tarp tent vs. Nomad

I have a 2RS [3#2oz], a 3RS [3#5oz] and a Wanderlust Nomad Lite, the
original version that weighs 1.5 pounds -- 1 person version. I also have a
Tacoma-for-Two tent. [2 person 2#5oz]

I think that the Nomad can best be described as "the tent for people who
really don't want a tent" or a tarp for that matter. In fact Kurt designed
the Nomad for use on the AT where, he states, "1/3 of the time will be spent
in shelters so why carry a heavy tent you will only setup 1/3 to 1/2 of the
time".

In considering tents/tarps of this class, I would also consider the Olympia
tent from Ron Moak and the Tacom tent from Carol/David of Dancing Lite gear.

This class of tent is designed for the "sprint between town stops" aproach.
You hike till you drop, eat freeze dried cardboard cooked over a bottle cap
filled with fuel, then sleep where you are....waking up to start the entire
process all over again....until you arrive at some podunk little town or
rundown resort...where you pig out on food that tasts great only compared to
freeze dried cardboard, load up with food and start the process all over
again.

On the PCT this routine only requires a tent when it rains. Why? You don't
need the tent for sun shade because whenever the sun is out you will be
hiking. Plus, you don't need the tent as a bug shelter because the bugs have
enough sense to go to bed when it gets dark... and you hike from dawn to
dusk. At dusk you cook food [not in one of THESE tents], then crawl into the
sleeping bag [where a .1 ounce bug net will protect your face]. My best
guess is that you will set up the tent 20-25% of the time at most.

Given this approach, the best choice for one is the lightest, cheapest tent
available. I wouldn't worry about anything else.

For two, I don't believe that Ron currently has a Olympia for two yet and
the Wanderlust for two seems very unstable. I would choose a Tacoma [I did].

Tom