[pct-l] Long distance foot problems

Many people have foot problems both during and after the hike. Your shoes
were probably the problem and you didn't correct it. Now you are paying the
price. You also may have pushed yourself too soon and went too many miles
per day with too much weight. Regardless, your feet didn't like it.

However, I believe the doctors you have been seeing are exaggerating the
problem. You are right not to trust them. They haven't seen many people who
hike day after day for 5 + months. Some people may lose toenails and have
permanent numbness.  But, my guess is that the numbness and tingling will be
gone within a few months as you stop torturing your feet. The nerves did get
pinched, the muscles did get overused, etc. - but they will recover.My
soreness and pain didn't go completely away until about 4 months after I
stopped - and the pain didn't really start until I finished.

Can't say what you should do, but I'd skip the doctors, keep walking (maybe
with some inserts to take pressure off) and see what happens in a few
months. Not easy to just "grin and bear it", but I don't believe all the
doctors in the world will make a difference - only time will.

As for the eating - most folks also keep eating after the "starvation diet"
hiking. I've read that is the body's way. Hopefully you won't blow up like a
blimp.

Good luck.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR