[pct-l] Re: trekking poles

Here's another vote cast for thrift store ski poles as trekking poles.
They don't telescope, they have rubber grips, they cost $5 a pair, and
we have used them happily for several years.   They help me go uphill,
downhill and flat far more safely and somewhat faster.  They are also
excellent for training my dog to heel and getting reluctant llamas to
move down the trail, across the bridge, etc.  The only modification we
made to the poles was to add Leki replacement tips to the poles so they
could take the punishment of pounding on rock all day (which will
quickly kill a typical hollow ski pole tip.)  Since I started using
poles I hardly ever fall down and stream crossings are far safer.
I had elbow pain and a numb hand one year after a long trek, but my
doctor said the source of the pain was behind the shoulder blade, gave
me a cortisone shot there, and cured the pain.  Weird.  I suspect the
problem came from sleeping on the ground on an inadequate pad and
pillow, usually on my right side.   The problem did not recur this year
with a different sleeping pad.
Marion Davison  "llamalady"