[pct-l] Introducing myself and trekking poles

Hi All,

I just joined this group and thought I would give a brief intro.

I've been backpacking for the last 15 years and have done some
mountaineering, mtn biking and limited rock climbing. I'm also a member of
the BackpackingLight and BackpackGearTest yahoo groups, in the interest of
lightening my pack and exchanging ideas and experiences with other
like-minded folks. I think I may have been a member of the pct-l list some
years ago.

So climbing Mt. Rainier (WA state's highest mountain 14,411 feet) was
something I never wanted to do, but have done it twice. Thru-hiking the PCT
used to also be something I didn't want to do, but the itch is starting to
grow.

I heard Flyin' Brian's presentation at the Seattle REI the other night.
Great...I highly recommend it if you can see him. Last year I read Jardine's
"Beyond Backpacking" and have been experimenting with some of his ideas as
well as many I've pick up own from BPL and BGT. His book is a big
inspiration that the actual hiking part of backpacking can be fun and not
just a big grunt. I've sewn some small projects, like his waterproof stuff
sacks and some pockets for my Gust pack. I also recently purchased a Henry
Shires' Tarptent and really enjoy the room and lightweight of that. I've
made a few Photon alcohol stoves and am planning to switch to the cat/tuna
stove because I had the photon stove nearly blow up in my face. I also
really like the Esbit tabs. My base packweight (everything but food/water)
has come from around 40 lbs to about 18 lbs. I still want to lighten it.

But lightening my pack is not why I joined this list. Like I said, I've got
the itch to thru-hike the PCT. I'm here probably to do a lot of lurking and
listening to the wisdom of all who have sharing to do. I'm especially
interested in hearing from those who have done some sort of thru-hike, but
just as interested in hearing from folks like me who are thinking of doing
it.

Being a member of the other two groups I mentioned, BPL and BGT, I already
recognize a few names on this list..hi to Marge, Mara and Fallingwater.

My two cents of trekking poles: I used ski poles for a long time but finally
got a great deal on some 3 section Komperdell poles. Like Marge, I don't
like the straps even though they make sense if used correctly, so I've
removed them. I tend to change hand positions when climbing downhill so as
not to overstress any one section of my wrist. I've tried the anti-shock
type poles and don't like the feel of them, maybe I just needed more time to
get used to the springiness, don't know. I also usually hike with just one
pole because I like to have my other hand free. I often switch hands so each
side of my body gets used. If I know the trail is switchback-less, I will
bring both.

Jason Rumohr
Seattle, WA