[pct-l] Flyin' Brian at Seattle REI

Flyin' Brian Robinson spoke to a packed house at the Seattle REI last night,
sharing his slides, his gear and his insights about doing a Triple Crown in
one calendar year. His tin can stove drew ooohs and aaahs from the audience,
as did his G4 pack and his poncho/tarp combo. I was amazed at how thin this
guy is--but then, he still runs 50 miles a week and was training at 90 miles
a week before he started his year-long hike. He confessed that he would
probably never do a triple crown again (he's not THAT insane), but hinted
that some kind of east-west, sea-to-sea hike might be in his future.

It made me proud that he complimented the beauty of the PCT in my home
state--noting that the Goat Rocks was one of his favorite stretches on the
whole trail, and that you can't beat the beauty of the PCT in the Alpine
Lakes Wilderness and near the Canadian border in the Pasayten Wilderness.
Having done these sections myself, I could only agree with his "expert"
opinion.

If you get a chance to hear him, be sure to go. And since I know he often
reads this list--thanks Brian for sharing your journey with us. I look
forward to reading your book when it comes out.

Tom Griffin
Seattle, WA
My PCT Hikes at http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/pct.html