[pct-l] trekking poles

I have an old pair of Chouinard adjustable avalanche ski poles that I have =
use for years(for some reason they still adjust). I bought a pair of Leki's=
 I did not like the anti-shock, I gave them to my daughter she didn't like =
them either(she just uses ski poles).  Now my wife has them and she likes t=
hem alot. Black Diamond is coming out with a sil-nylon pyramid tent that un=
der 2#. Good thing about my poles there adjustable and screw together to us=
e as a pole for my Mega-mid.  I have also looked at new ice axes for years,=
 but I always just go back and use my 15-20 year old? Chouinard piolet.

=09-----Original Message-----
=09From: Bighummel@aol.com [mailto:Bighummel@aol.com]
=09Sent: Thu 10/10/2002 5:35 PM
=09To: pct-l@backcountry.net
=09Cc:
=09Subject: Re: [pct-l] trekking poles

=09I've been just pickled happy with my $5 used ski poles for use as trekki=
ng
=09poles.  Yep, they don't telescope (read: saves weight of the joints and
=09locking mechanism) and so are hard to store when you don't want to use t=
hem
=09(I haven't found a time yet!).  They look kind of stupid, but then I've
=09looked kind of stupid on the trail for years and aren't really into look=
ing
=09stylish, so?  They might not last very long, but then at only $5 per pai=
r, I
=09can buy alot of them before getting up into the cost of Leki's.  They ha=
ve
=09never bothered my elbows or wrists or palms.

=09Great discussion on tent vs tarps.  Has anyone tried the new Golite Hex =
2?
=09It is a pyramid-shaped, single pole, four season, silnylon, no floor, 2 =
lb.,
=0913 oz., tent-tarp.  It goes with my argument that the most efficient des=
ign
=09of shelter is a sharply peaked or pyramid shape.

=09Regarding bad gear -good gear:  All of my gear is bad gear, except for t=
he
=09really good stuff.  All of my gear is sentimental, which has been shown =
in
=09clinical tests to lighten gear by 13.4%.  Will I ever buy or carry a lit=
=09weight ice ax when I have two beautiful, heavy, wood-handle ice axes at =
home?
=09 Hell no!  Sentimentality wins over weight in many considerations of wha=
=09goes into the pack, including sometimes the pack itself.

=09Greg "Strider" Hummel
=09PCT-L mailing list
=09PCT-L@mailman.backcountry.net