[pct-l] trekking poles

--
In a message dated 10/10/02 1:31:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
stormygirlie@hotmail.com writes:

> I am a big fan of trekking poles - they provide overall stability, save my
> knees on descents, let me use upper body strength on the ascents, and help
> me
> keep a fast stride on the straight-aways. But after several hours, I find
> my
> elbows aching. I've heard others complain of the same problem, so I'm
> wondering whether anybody has solutions or suggestions.

If your elbows ache, you're doing it all wrong.

As you said, " ... They provide overall stability." If you use your arms to
merely move your poles alternately, you will gain a sense of security that
causes you to subconsciously increase the length of your stride and cover
more miles per day. Let your legs do the walking ... use the poles for
security in case a foot lands in an unstable position.

YMMV

Charlie