[pct-l] Forest Closures

In a message dated 10/8/02 9:56:07 PM, kdpo@pacbell.net writes:

<< When we hiked the CDT this summer there were 3 closed forests in New Mexico

n June. We had to road walk around Carson and Santa Fe NF, but the ranger in

charge of Cebolla NF had a different idea that may be used here. He chose a

jeep road route ( not the real CDT but still in the NF) and wrote special

permits for CDT through hikers only. Conditions were no fires or a safety

rated stove only, a specific route, stay within 100 feet of the route at all

times, and a limited time that was probably about a 20 mile/day pace. No

water was on this route so he arranged for a Trail Angel to cache water.

A fine example of how relations between users and managers of public lands
can and ought to be. That ranger is a true leader.