[pct-l] knee finally gave out

I tore the cartiledge in my right knee in a skiing accident six years ago.  I
had arthoscopic surgery to trim it up and it went fine.  I had some pain
early on, mostly related to the scarring of muscle tissue where they inserted
one of the probes directly through your muscle.  I was terrified that my
hiking days might be over or that I might be in pain forever more.

I haven't had the opportunity to do a long trek or the PCT again, however, I
have done several twenty mile days with a serious weight pack, climbed a few
13'ers in the Sierras since and am playing in a basketball league, all at 46
years old and with no pain or problems.

Now, the caveats;  the surgeon said that the inside of my knees looked like
18 year olds and that I should thank my lucky genes for some fantastic
health. Considering a PCT thru-hike and 30 years of basketball he said there
was no visible wear, arthitis or problems other than the cartiledge tear.
Your knee health and genetics will most likely vary.

I have never used trekking poles until just recently and have discovered that
they do take a significant amount of stress off of my joints when coming
down, and, I like being able to push with my upper body going up.

Good luck with your rehab and hope you are able to get back out there soon.

Best regards and YMMV,

Greg "Strider" Hummel