[pct-l] Why I use a tent; light weight tent stakes

Not sure what the pioneers would use today but I sure wouldn't want to go
back to an wool blanket and heavy leather boots like John Muir used (I
think I read that in some "history of climbing" book - and he rock
climbed in them too!). Although when I was in Peru this summer, during 5
days of trekking in Cotahuasi Canyon, our burro drovers did the whole
thing in what looked like "penny" loafers and a wool blanket at night.
And I did carry a full pack because the group had too much stuff for the
burros (I did let them carry my 8 lb. "car camping" tent).

Why do I use a tent? I was feeling like I was getting a bit too soft
after going from no tent to my Wenzel Star Lite recently so on my last
outing I slept under the stars with no tent or tarp (haven't ever used a
tarp) the 1st night out. I spent too much time swatting mosquitos and
other flying critters so the 2nd night I set up my tent and slept
peacefully. I do often lay out in the open before going to bed enjoying
the stars, satellites and meteors but when I go to bed my eyes are closed
so I couldn't see them anyway, even if I was out in the open.  :)

Oh, by the way, I was in REI recently and trying to decide which tent
stakes to buy. The red 3 vaned MSR Ground Hog stakes looked really cool
and "felt" lighter than the plain round aluminum ones but were $2.00
instead of $1.00. I was trying to decide if they were worth the extra
amount so asked the saleskid if they had a scale to weigh them. He said
no and that if I was worried about the weight of tent stakes I should use
rocks! Obviously he is not into serious ultralight thinking. Anyway, I
ended up getting two of each, got them home and weighed them and they are
both 1/2 oz.  Greg, how much do you charge to drill the holes in them??

Vic