[pct-l] Dew Point

--
In a message dated 10/2/02 7:18:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time, dude@fastmail.ca
writes:

> From:<A HREF="mailto:dude@fastmail.ca";>dude@fastmail.ca</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:Lonetrail@aol.com";>Lonetrail@aol.com</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> if the dew point is the moisture content of air, then what
> is "humidity"?  ...just curious.  I know nothing about this stuff.

Dude

Dew Point: The temperture at which air becomes satuated and produces dew

Humidity: The dampness of the air

I was in construction and  for awhile builders thought it was best to wrap a
hose with insulation with a high R-factor. This caused the house not to
breathe. The house would stay warm and with the furnace on, cooking and body
moisture the result  would be warm air with high humidity. One area were the
warm air with high humidity escaped was the attic. (in our case the fly) The
warm air with high humidity (in our case from our body, average two quarts a
might) would rise and end up in the attic. The attic not being heated would
have the cold air meeting the warm air and it would reach the dew-point. You
would have condensation (dew point) as in tent. Sometimes I even witnessed
the roof rafters on a cold night covered with frost (as in windshield & frost
). The big problem is when the frost begins to melt its like snow falling
then turing to rain wetting the insulation between the attic floor joist and
causing plaster to fall in rooms under the attic. (Your sleeping Bag)

The fly should alway have a air space between it and the tent the should be
able to breathe letting the moisture escape. Have a nice dry sleep.

lonetrail