[pct-l] PCT book

Just found the Third edition (1979) of the Pacific
Crest Trail Volume 2: Oregon & Washington.  The best
quote out of the book is:
"In past editions, we said that we heoped some readers
would walk the whole trail in one long season.  Some
did and some more certainly will.  However, for
several reasons, we no longer recommend it.  Hiking 20
miles a day, you'll be too exhausted to appreciate the
scenery"
Did the early thru-hiker hike 20 miles a day.  I know
that Monte took 6 months to complete his hike.  Greg
did a monster day, I forget what the mileage was, and
these guys were carrying loads that would make the new
thru-hiker look like a sissy, me included.  For the
guys who did the trail in those early years, Thank
you.  You paved a trail for all of us to follow.  As
winter approaches here in the Inland Northwest I
remember all of the good times I had on the trail.  I
look forward to the day when I will be able to get
back out there and hike with my kid, due Dec. 29th.
Congratulations to those who had a successful hike
this year.  Next year I plan on doing more along the
beloved PCT

Tony DiLorenzo