[pct-l] Tents vs tarp

--
I can't resist chiming in on this.

We just finished the CDT using a prototype lightweight tent from Bibler. Th=
e tent weighs 2 lbs 11 oz. including the bags for tent and poles. It is big=
 enough for 2 of us to sleep comfortably with all our gear inside the tent.=
 The bottom was a waterproof bathtub that kept us and gear dry on wet groun=
d. If we carried a floorless tarp tent we would carry a groundcloth (more w=
eight) to keep our gear dry and clean(er).

The tent has 2 poles that are inside the tent, a la the I-tent. That makes =
it free standing. We don't carry hiking poles so setting up a tarp would re=
quire the addition of poles (more weight) or that we find trees to pitch a =
tarp. A free standing tent was a must in New Mexico where there wasn't any =
trees.

Condensation - yeh, we had a little of that, but only when we were in reall=
y wet conditions - snow, heavy rain, or camped on soaked ground. We only ha=
d condensation 2 or 3 days until we got into northern Montana and the cold,=
 wet weather. The tent has a window high on one side and a mesh door on the=
 other side. Yes, sides, not ends. We never zipped the door clear shut. Ins=
tead we left the top foot or so open.

We know the tent kept us warmer at night. In Yellowstone we had condensatio=
n both inside and outside the tent. When we got up, the condensation immedi=
ately froze inside and outside the tent. Our body heat had kept the condens=
ation from freezing.

As you can tell we really liked the tent. I don't know that Bibler will mak=
e/sell the tent or what the price would be. If they make it, I will definit=
ely look at it.

Ken
website: http://home.pacbell.net/kdpo