[pct-l] Re: Gear Tradeoff -- Tents versus Sleeping Bags

From: Bighummel@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:57:50 EDT
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Re: Gear Tradeoff -- Tents versus Sleeping Bags
To: pct-l@backcountry.net

IMHO, HYOH.  Please take no offense as no offense is intended

------

None taken. But what about that other post you sent? :)

I've never used a sleeping bag that didn't require a good airing out during
the day, to rid it of the inevitable moisture buildup, if not from the
environment, than from my micro-environment.

Traveling for extended periods in rainy weather requires vigilance of any
hiker, using whatever for a shelter or bag. No one is intimating that a down
bag is the de facto (remember that word?) choice when using a tarp. Many of
the tarp geeks on the PCT make their own equipment, and that includes
sleeping gear. 3D is a whole lot friendlier to work with than down, so
indeed, _is_ the de facto choice (where have I heard that word before?) But
either way, storm-bound tarp campers who know what they're doing should be
able to keep their sleeping gear at least as dry as, if not a good deal
drier than, those relying on tents.

Is Polargard 3D miraculous? What happens if we sleep in a poorly ventilated
tent for several nights with the temperature never rising above freezing,
night or day? That's right, the insulation begins freezing from the
outside-in, and losing its precious loft among the ice crystals. And there's
no easy way to remedy the problem, until we get back to the car. Knowledge
and awareness, not equipment, saves lives.

- blisterfree