[pct-l] Gear Tradeoff -- Tents versus Sleeping Bags

Marion's posts seems to confirm my earlier impression that the weight of a
good tent is offset by the weight of the sleeping bag.

This summer I slept out at 27F one night, then slept alone in a Stephenson
2RS another night where the temperature was approximately the same. The
difference was amazing.

Also, my experience is that the smaller the tent the more heat retained. I
believe that Marion's data showing the difference between the Sphinz, the
Meteor Light and the Vertical Ascent is partially the result of tent size
rather than design. Standard double wall tents are designed to pass water
vapor through the inner wall, mesh or not. Condensation typically occurs on
the rain fly.

Finally, my data is with two people in the tent, not one. Sleeping with two
people in a Stephenson 2RS, the condensation is noticable but the tent is
very warm inside. With one person there was very little condensation but the
temp differential was less.

In general I think that a single wall tent, or Tarp, is about as efficient
at keeping heat inside as a standard double wall tent. On cold nights, if
one closes down the tent, or tarp, it will make a big difference. My
experience with Stephenson Tents indicate that the double wall design with
BOTH wall impervious to water vapor creats a storm window effect. The
Stephenson sleeps ten degrees warmer than the average double wall tent where
the inner wall is designed to pass water vapor.

Tom