From: Brett Tucker [mailto:blisterfree@earthlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 10:50 AM
To: Pacific Crest Trail
Subject: [pct-l] Fallingwater's Europa Tent (was: light tents -
stephenson is pricey, anyone used golite)

No one has thus far mentioned Ron "Fallingwater" Moak's Europa tent, which
weighs in a 2lb 4oz for tent, 1 shock-corded pole, stakes, guys, and
stowbag.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/

I have this tent, and to date have given it several hundred miles of use.
The tent mostly performs as stated on the website. However, I would call it
more of a one-and-a-half man tent, than one of 2-person design.

Nonetheless, the tent has incredible legroom, enough height to permit
sitting upright, enough width for one person to store equipment inside, and
a mesh door that is canted away from vertical, creating an awning effect
that allows one to leave the mesh door unprotected or even fully open during
wet weather. Which greatly improves breathability of this single wall,
silnylon tent. You wouldn't want to close the nylon storm door except in
extreme weather. And of course, extreme weather usually entails plenty of
wind, which theoretically would find its way into the tent even with the
storm door shut - at least in a gently ventilating sort of way. This is
because the tent has small, protected, screened openings at fore and aft,
which cross ventilate regardless of configuration.

While I don't own a Wanderlust tent, I am familiar with the design, and
chose the Europa because of its perceived advantages. Namely, price,
availability, and conastoga-tent simplicity. Like the Wanderlust, it relies
on hiking poles. Actually, one pole - at the head end, used just like a
tarp. The aft end employs one aluminum pole, which also functions as a
spreader, and reducing flogging in wind. Unlike the Wanderlust, the Europa
tent can still function if any of its supports should fail - a stick from
the forest can replace a broken hiking  pole; the tale end can be staked or
pinned down if the shock-corded pole should fail. And no supporting members
are placed on the tent's interior - a Wanderlust design feature that I don't
find very appealing.

Pitching is very straightforward - easier than any tent I've owned. The
pitch can be made extremely taught along the center axis. The horizontal
axis is somewhat less amenable to one's efforts, due largely to the absence
of a spreading shock-cord pole at tent's front. However, the tent's sides
feature pull-out tabs a la GoLite's (Ray-way) tarps, from which one can run
1mm nylon cordage out to tree branches and such.

The tent is only modestly breathable, as one would expect of any single wall
tent. And it sleeps on the warm side, so may not be the best choice for
midsummer at lower elevations. But the design is quite worthy of at least 3
seasons' exposure, and I can foresee plenty of circumstances that would
recommend it. I believe Ron Moak developed this tent in advance of his CDT
thru-hike, which I assume he's still plugging away at. Good luck, Ron! And
thanks for developing this tent.

- blisterfree