[pct-l] Lightweight and cheap tent

I just have to put in my 2 cents worth on the tent issue. I resisted by a
tent for about a year while I was trying to cut my pack weight down
because I was going to make one (never got it made) and the light ones
were too expensive to buy. During this time I got used to sleeping in the
open with no tent or tarp in the mild, usually rain free Southern
California climate. I still wanted a tent for colder weather and possible
rain so kept looking. One day in SportMart they had the Wenzel Starlite
tent for $30.00 (was $45.00 in Campmor, now $39.96). I bought it even
though the stated weight was 3 lbs. 8 oz (4 lbs. 8 oz. carry weight),
which was heavier than I wanted. When I weighed it at home it came to 3
lbs. total, without the compression bag and 2 lbs. 4 oz. without the
front poles.

I have used it with my hiking poles in place of the front poles, sticks
when I forgot my hiking poles and lately using the regular tent poles. I
have been very happy with it and highly recommend it to other budget
hikers. I am not a thru hiker, have just used it for weekend trips and
haven't used it in high wind or rain yet. It also hasn't been cold enough
to worry about condensation yet, I have used it mainly to keep the bugs
out. It is so small that I can put it in the sleeping bag compartment of
my pack, with the sleeping bag and ground cloth (plastic painter's ground
cloth). I have also been very happy with my bargain pack, a Trekk Arcadia
60 (3600 cu. in., 4 lbs.) that I got for $35.00 at a discount luggage
store in downtown Los Angeles. I used it for 5 days trekking in Cotahausi
Canyon in Peru last month (maybe I'll get a trip report done one of these
days). My favorite bargains there? Wide brim hats for $2.50 and 1/4
roasted chicken, a large serving of French Fries and a salad for $2.00 at
the Chicken Palace!]

Below is the link to the Starlite tent at Campmor or go to
www.campmor.com, item #35842-N.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=664
86&prmenbr=226

Vic