[pct-l] Campfires...

In a message dated 8/28/02 9:11:22 PM, Bighummel@aol.com writes:

<< Let's outlaw them in all areas outside of car-campsites.  It will do the
biota, air and clear views a favor.  IMHO.

Sorry, but all the campfires in the Sieras over the last fifty years don't
amount to a hill of beans compared to one lousy 100,000 acre lightning or
firefighter caused forest fire. Maybe we should ban forest fires, instead.
There are already plenty of regulations to go around. Banning campfires in
low forest areas when the fire danger is low is just making regulations for
regulations sake. What's at stake is credibility: people will obey laws when
good sound reasons are given for those laws. I, for one, don't particularily
like being treated like a child when I ask why and am told "just because"
Hell, why not ban hiking during "bear" season so there's NO chance of bears
getting food. THAT"LL teach all those idiots who stupidly followed the NPS's
misguided mandatory food hanging  regulaton. (Remember, HANGING FOOD WAS THE
NPS"S IDEA NOT OURS.THEY FORCED US HANG FOOD  UNDER A THREAT OF FINE AND NOW
THEY WANT TO FINE US FOR HANGING FOOD. THIS IS CREDIBLE???!!!! But of course,
they got it right now. HA!
   It's a lot like Bush saying we have to log those forests to keep them from
burning (of course the result is the same - no trees for the next 30 - 50
years.) And of course no mention at all that it was the Federal Government's
misguided fire suppression policy that got us here to begin with. And now
they want to reward the loggers handsomely for it. Might as well have been on
purpose. But of course, theyre on the right course now. HA!
  The problem is basically pay. The brightest bulbs don't gravitate to the
lowest paying jobs: you get what you pay for.