[pct-l] Mount Whitney, The Zoo, a story...

Another view about the Mt Whitney Trail:

  I agree w/ much of what Jeff said.  Whitney has become the Everrest for
the inexperienced hiker-a sort of ultimate test for those who don't hike
much, but want to experience this sort of challenge.  It is as my friends
and I call it, an interstate hwy in the mountains.
  Nevertheless, in my two times up to Whitney and one time up to Mt Muir, I
have had some of best outdoor experiences in my life.  It's nice to hike w/
and among other people once in awhile.  I often hike/backpack  and most of
the time I go alone and I ususally don't see a soul all day(or days, as on
my last PCT section hike when I saw no one for three days).  Even when I go
on more popular trails, I often see less people than I might expect.  It's
refreshing to hike w/ other people, even if there are many of them out
there.
  I disagree w/ Jeff concerning the people.  In my experience, most everyone
says hi and many love to stop and talk about their hike, what they've seen,
where they're from, etc.  It can be one of the joys of hiking-sharing a
common, challenging experience far away from home.  I've met people that I
still talk/write to on the Whitney Trail.  I think that you have to realize
that this trail is NOT for seclusion, but for the communal-like experience
of hiking a challenging peak.  So if you want to hike Mt Whitney and not
come into contact w/ others, then don't take the Whitney Trail.  But if you
would enjoy getting up in the dark, looking up and seeing headlamps
scattered along the mountain, talking to others about the trail as they come
down, meeting new friends w/ shared passions, I would definately recommend
the Whitney Trail-it's a once in a lifetime experience not often found in
hiking.

My .2,

Michael G.

  I am grateful for what I am and have. My thanksgiving is perpetual. It is
surprising how contented one can be with nothing definite-only a sense of
existence...no run on my bank can drain it, for my wealth is not possession
but enjoyment.

             Henry David Thoreau