[pct-l] trail tread and other curiosities

--
Although I concur with much of Frank's trail descriptions, I really don't t=
hink that I would fault the Data Book nor maps in the trail guide. The Data=

As for the maps, the authors themselves complain about them. It is the best=
 available without remapping the section themselves (some of which is being=
 done). Apparently the accuracy of many topo maps is not so good.

And as I found, it is trail junctions where the problems are. Normally ther=
e is a PCT sign - but it may be several hundred yards (or more) past the ju=
nction (probably closer ones were stolen). Sometimes I wish that the PCTA w=
ould have some "sign the trail" days and pass out a few signs to through hi=
kers to mount as they go (presuming they sign the right trail).

But, I really think the trail guides do a pretty good job of keeping one go=
ing in the right direction. Maybe getting lost is just part of the experien=
ce.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@attbi.com