[pct-l] Doing the trail on the cheap...

In a message dated 8/10/02 5:49:45 AM, tigeress@attbi.com writes:

<<     Apparently, like always, I'll be strapped for cash on this
particular trip - so I was wondering if anyone would have some
suggestions on doing a thru-hike on the cheap?

    Thanks...

    Caroline >>

Avoid motels if you will, but budget in some restaurants. Remember, if your
gear is good quality, your main expense is going to be food and getting that
food to your way stations. I assume you are renting and won't have any house
expenses while you are gone. Free food can be obtained at most post
offices/lodges along the way in the hiker boxes that they maintain, but your
diet would be quite bland if you relied solely on them. The fewer packages
that you send the more you save, so try to resupply on-trail as much as
possible.  Stay in campgrounds instead of motels. If carefully planned, one
can save hundreds of dollars over the course of a 6 month journey. Of course,
if you have the bucks, why not have a motor home follow you from road j
unction to road junction and be the first person to hike the entire trail
with nothing in their fanny pack but lunch!
  Doing the trail on the Ritz: Is it possible to hike the entire Appalachian
trail carrying nothing but a credit card and staying only at the finest five
star bed and breakfasts every night? As they ALL say, "Just in case I win the
lottery."