[pct-l] trail tread and other curiosities

Hi Sara,

We have not hiked the whole PCT, only Oregon and Washington, so I can
only answer about this part.

The trail itself was mostly not too difficult to follow. In most
cases there is only one main trail and that is the PCT. We used the
Data Book during the day and the Guide at night to go over the next
couple of days. Only very seldomly did we need to take it out also at
trail intersections.

Most of the time the trail was hard dust/sand with rocks poking
through. Sometimes it was lava or 'black glass' (obsidian, in the
Three Sisters area) or snow or mud. Every time we went off trail to
resupply and got back on, it felt so good. The trail, where it goes
through the forest, makes your feet bounce. Unfortunately the feeling
wears off in a day or so, and then it sometimes seems to drag you
down.

I don't agree that the passes are hell. It's the grind getting up
there, but every pass is a wonderful place 'on top of the world'.
There are some places on the trail that made me wonder how horses get
over it. For example the Goat Rocks' Rooster's Comb.

Did anyone actually do this on a horse/with llamas?

Have a great hike
Saskia