[pct-l] Re: Feet treatment

Regarding sharing foot thoughts, Gladly Peggy,
Hopefully the following will help regarding feet. My feet have tough skin,
so I do nothing special. First of all, the best type of activity to train
(and get your feet ready) for hiking long distances is hiking long
distances. After six years of longer hikes, I believe that a person will
always get blisters no matter what, once the long walks start in the spring
time. Secondly, you can probably expect some more blisters even after
intensive training walks. The key factor is, to toughen up your feet and get
through the initial blisters while you have weeks at home to treat them and
to recover, using the same shoes you'll through PCT. There is nothing better
than the AT (all terrain) type runners; there is no need for boots on the
smooth PCT. Then on the long walk, when there are enough other problems,
your feet will stand up longer.
If you have nice soft feet, you might benefit by keeping them dry and not
applying moisturizers. I have to do the opposite and get rid of a tough dry
sole. There is only so much you can do ahead. While on the trail for months
on end, management of your feet condition should do a lot more for reducing
blisters than what you can do ahead of time:

    Keep your feet dry while walking.
    Use the polypropylene liner socks at all times.
    When taking a break, air out socks and boots.
    Bring a few pairs of liners and outer socks so you can change daily.
    Thoroughly wash the salt and grime out of socks each day.
    Replace your shoes before the toes stick out.
    Carry a pair of light weight sandals for use in camp.
    In camp, sit your shoes out in the sun to kill bacteria.
    Oh! dip those sore feet in a cool stream now and then.