[pct-l] RE: PCT-L digest, Vol 1 #576 - 4 msgs

Patrick,

Welcome to the wonderful world of backpacking.  I have seen some great
suggestions on this email list already sent to you.  There are kinda two
approaches to backpacking:
1) Go Light - minimalist approach
2) Go Safe - Bring anything you think you will need to make your trip safe.

Each method has its advantages.
Go Light
	Usually a more enjoyable trip.
	Lighter load.
	More Distance covered.
	Less Sore.
	Surprising to discover what you really can do without.
Go Safe
	Usually you are prepared for any circumstance.
	Problems/injures can and do happen.

Each method has its disadvantages.
Go Light
	You might be in a world of hurt if something unpredicatble happens
Go Safe
	You usually are carrying too much stuff, and that makes for a less
enjoyable trip.

Ironically as it may sound, I am of the Go Safe category.  However Im
learning to go lighter and lighter.  I have ALREADY experieced the
conditions of going TOO light, and the other end of go safe, where I had
what I needed when I had an injury.

Im my case, I went too light, and didn't bring my water pump.  I crossed a
few streams but opted not to collect water because I didn't have a way to
filter it.  I ran out of water at the end of the trip.  On the other side, I
injured my foot while hiking,  I was not concerned about having to spend a
night in the desert if I had to.  I had my radio, extra food and emergency
supplies, IF i was in a position where I could not go on any further.

I come from a boy scout background, so most of my experience and decisions
come from that point of view.

Here is the list I use for backpacking
http://crazy_old_scout.tripod.com/

click on other, then packing list 1, and packing list 2.

As was stated in some earlier emails, it varies for each person.
Personally Im not a big fan of REI.  Good information there, but just too
expensive.
I like Sports Chalet for their selections, and Big 5 for their prices.

Be SURE you get good shoes and socks.
If BACKPACKING, you will need some shoes with ankle support.  If you are
just hiking, you can give up the ankle support and go for a lighter shoe.
Most people here like the NewBalance sneakers.  I prefer something a bit
more traditional.  I just picked up a pair of
Timberline shoes (free range low) on sale at Sports Chalet.  I just love
them.
http://www.timberland.com/cgi-bin/timberland/timberland/catalog/tim_product_
detail.jsp?OID=13771&strCategory=/Men/Footwear/Multi-Sport&strLastItem=true

DO NOT SKIMP on the socks.  Get the thorlo socks.  I like the Lt Hikers Cool
Max.

Trust me, your feet will thank you.

Good Luck on your backpacking.
Hope you enjoy.