[pct-l] pacific crest trail

Welcome Patrick,

By posting here is a good start to getting some updated knowledge to hiking
the PCT.  While I have not done the PCT, I have done the AT.  Minus some
differences, doing a thru-hike on the PCT should be about the same.  The
first thing I would recommend is heading out on the weekends and maybe doing
a few overnight hikes.  If you don't have gear, best bet is rent until you
find the gear that you like.  From experience, most sales people usually
recommend their preferences, which may not fit yours.  There are allot of
options out there, and you have plenty of time to sort out your tastes and
styles.  If you have a local hiking club, maybe think about joining up with
them on some of their hikes.  From doing this you can learn from some other
experienced hikers, just be careful to not pick up their bad habits.  Also
check out some books on backpacking and some stories from past thru-hikers.
Check out some journals  ( a good place to start for that would be
www.trailjournals.com, they have plenty to pick from.  I hope to have some
up in the future, but as of yet the site is still new).  Another thing I
would suggest is check out some sites on the PCT, and find some forums to
participate in, just like you did here on the newslist.  As you start with
these things you should come up with some specific questions, such as when
is a good time to start, any problems getting water, what is need for
navigation on the PCT, how am I going to get resupplied, how much money will
it cost, just to mention a few.  Good luck on your endeavor.
__

Todd "M&M" Ricker
GA>ME AT99

ICQ: 24455973
AOL/AIM: MMATGA2ME99

WIN A FREE COPY OF DeLORME TOPO USA 4.0  More details at
www.trail-life.com/contest.htm

To open soon ... www.trail-life.com  Home of the Long Distance Backpacker
and America's National Scenic Trails.  Discussion forums, online guides,
journals, articles, stories, trail info, and trail news.  Please feel free
to leave suggestions or comments.