[pct-l] Han Solo 75 days

Han,

Congratulations on your accomplishment. Often, we tend to gauge our
successes by how well they relate to the benchmark, and certainly a PCT
thru-hiking speed record is a high and easily recognizable benchmark. But
never let it be said that 2500 miles in 75 days along the PCT is anything
less than a major success. And probably a record.

A few days ago I posted a note to this list requesting details about what
had been described as "100 hours of continuous hiking" that you did while
trying to make up time along the trail. I'm curious about the nature of this
little event. Did you sleep at all, or simply walk while stopping only to
eat and such? How many miles did you cover during the period? All details
are welcomed, from a human interest perspective, as well as a
pseudo-scientific one; and physiologically, as well, since I'm considering
thru-hiking a local trail (72 miles) in one day, and am wondering how that
will go.

- blisterfree, PCT '99-'01

"It may be true that my desk here is really 'nothing but' a transient eddy
of electrons in the flux of universal process. Nevertheless, I find that it
continues to support my feet, my revolver, and my cigars all day long. What
happens when my back is turned I don't know. Or much care. That's no concern
of mine."  - Edward Abbey

>>From: "James R Bennett" <benne129@pilot.msu.edu>
Subject: [pct-l] Han Solo 75 days

This is just a general posting to whom it may concern.  As I'm going thru a
re-entry and am now in my parents house in Boston, MA I want to make a
simple
statement as I know that some folks of this list have followed my hike and
have
helped me greatly.
First: I had a FUBAR in the North Cascades not too far from Skykomish, WA
in/near K4/K5 2500 mile mark.  I (amongst other things) did a faceplant into
snow,mud,rock and was stopped when I wrapped around a tree after what I
considered to be a significant fall.  This caused me to have minor injuries,
more broken gear and the loss of my glasses (and sight until I got an old
pair
here in Boston) so I spent 3 days w/ map and compass getting to the nearest
Forest Service Road and spent Monday night w/ the Forest Service (thanks!!!)
This was a high snow year for that section and I was way early, this was
also
just West/SW of the Chelan fire which to my knowledge is 20,000+ acres.  You
could easily see the smoke from the trail, in Stehekain (as the waitress
there
told me in Wenatchee) the smoke was dark black and many homes outside of the
wilderness had been burned down.  So, I decided to let Brian keep his record
for another year.  I'm 24 I have time.<<