[pct-l] Washington conditions

Han Solo was motivated, in part, by a desire to break my PCT speed record.
(84 days 6 hours) We've talked via email, so I'm sure he'd be the first to
admit that such a pace entails higher than normal risk. Fatigue, hiking at
night and in bad weather, and other factors increase the chances that
something will go wrong. When combined with the desire to go as light on
gear as possible, ones safety margin can be compromised.

I'm NOT condeming Han Solo. I believe he had the experience to make an
informed decision not to carry an ice ax. But mistakes happen. This should
be a lesson to those who will follow in his footsteps and mine. I carried an
ice ax in '01 and I recommend that everyone else does too. A Camp HL 250
weighs just 8+ ounces.

I was rooting for Han to break my record, and I gave him my best advice on
how to do so. Records are made to be broken. I hope he's all right.

Flyin' Brian