[pct-l] Re: 33+ miles/day average

One hundred hours of continuous hiking: I want to purchase the tell-all
book! When's it coming out? What website can I point my browser toward?

Actually, I'm the last person who will admit that any human endeavor is
impossible. My last great moment of doubt came the night before I
successfully hiked the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim (48 miles) in a day
(18 hours). I hardly slept a wink that night, such was my doubt, fear, and
dread. And that was with several long distance hikes already behind me. But
to my amazement, the day flew by with only minor discomfort. Walking - when
a person is conditioned for walking - is a funny thing. It becomes as
natural as breathing. It becomes physically and emotionally energizing,
rather than draining.

So I don't discount the possibility that an individual could walk
continuously for 4 days along the Pacific Crest Trail. Far from doubting it,
for the purpose of increasing the body of knowledge on ultra-walking I'd
like to hear specific details about the experience. When we hikers do
astounding things with our feet, I feel it is incumbent upon us to state for
the record exactly what it is we've done, and how we did it. Otherwise, we
diminish both our accomplishment and our credibility.

- blisterfree

>>From: kahley <kahley@ptd.net>

Han had a limited time to hike because of real world commitments
and duties.  He elected to go for it in the 80 days he had available.
He is also capable of remarkable endurance.  To make up time from
an earlier snafu, he hiked for 100 hrs straight. <<