[pct-l] Night Noises

Regarding =3D=3D>

Message: 6
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 22:20:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: David hiking PCNST in bits <pcnst@oakapple.net>
To: pct-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] re: Embarrassing question

I have noticed that I never sleep well the first night at altitude, no =
matter
what.   And I seldom sleep well in strange beds the first night.    =
However
as several have commented, by the third night at altitude I sleep pretty
well - as well as possible considering my thin little pad that I have to
keep rotating above as one pressure spot starts to hurt enough to wake =
me up.
The first night I spent out on the PCT in my current project was last =
year
about 15 miles north of Harts Pass.    My noisy animal turned out to be
deer that were quite fearless about walking through my camp and even
investigating my pots and pans.    I slept better after getting up and
seeing who they were, though.     Later I found out that wolves and =
grizzlies <<<<<<
have been reported in the North Cascades in recent years.                =
           <<<<<<

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
The NPS desperately-wants to "find" Grizzly bears in the N and S complex =
of the NCNP.
To the best of my knowledge, their searchers with bait/camera in remote =
places has not
found ANY evidence of their presence. Their "Interps" here in Stehekin =
are, I think, taught
to say they ARE here in the NCNP.

All the "sitings" of supposed Griz have, so far, have never been =
verified as such when the
area has been investigated.

Night noises are exciting! Once when dropped off at the trailhead at =
Bridge Creek at HWY#20
at midnight (we were returning from a wedding in Canada ) I started =
hiking to the Bridge Ck
Ranger Station along the Stehekin River. I was suppose to start walking =
at daybreak but knew
the moon would rise above the ridges soon so started walking w/o any =
lights.

Several miles into the walk I reflected upon what might happen if I =
stumbled on a bear or cougar
resting on the trail. A cold shiver ran thru my body at the thought so I =
started whistling favorite
songs as self-entertainment and notification of my presence. All-in-all, =
it was a delightful hike
and I was safe even though I had no light.

Dick  -  w7wkr
Stehekin, WA

multipart/alternative
  text/html