[pct-l] Embarrassing question

It's possible that the sound you heard was a bird:
(raucous,howling,moaning evil sound woke me right up. I thought it was going
past me on the trail when all of a sudden it was back on the other side of
me going the opposite way.)
I used to work in New Mexico for the forest service looking for spotted
owls, so I was often out tromping around in the woods in the middle of the
night. I was in an area that had a fair amount of black bear activity and so
was a bit spooked when I heard a strange groaning noise coming from behind a
bush ahead, then from a bush behind. After a moment of panic I realized that
two nighthawks were swooping after insects nearby. After checking the field
guide, sure enough, they make that otherworldly sound while in flight (these
guys occur in dry, desert type habitats in the southwest which includes
southern ca). If it was about dusk or dawn when you heard it then this might
be the same critter.
There are of course other harmless night critters that make some pretty hair
raising sounds - screech owls, armadillo in the leaves, etc... In the pitch
dark they are all giant bears. Thank goodness I now backpack where it
doesn't get dark and so if it is a bear I know pretty quick...maybe its
better not knowing...because chances are it is a griz.
On topic, I too have a hard time going to sleep when I first go out on a
hike but after a couple of days of non-sleep I am so exhausted I sleep on
the third night. I'm a very light sleeper in civilization but while on my AT
thru hike I could even sleep in shelters with lots of snorers. It's amazing
what exhaustion will do for your insomnia. christin