[pct-l] CA Section B water and ice report

Should have mentioned - I did not check the springs down off the trail on
the Desert Divide. Sorry.

----- Original Message -----
From: "AsABat"

I spent the last 3 days doing the Desert Divide and Fuller Ridge from Hwy 74
to I-10. Weather was generally cool, with cold winds on Thursday and it
snowed on Friday afternoon (about 1 inch or so). For what it's worth:

Water report April 18-20, 2002, from Hwy 74 to I-10:
Penrod Canyon (B6) dry.
Tahquitz Creek (B9) sluggish.
Strawberry Cienga (B9) a tiny trickle, about 10 minutes to fill one liter.
Deer Springs (B10) flowing ok, as is one stream south of there and another
stream about a half mile north down Fuller Ridge
Water fountain at Snow Creek (B11) is on - Thanks, Desert Water Agency!

Snow and ice conditions, April 18-20, 2002, from Hwy 74 to I-10:
There is just a little ice on the north side of Red Tahquitz (B9).
Fuller Ridge (B10) has a bit more ice, especially on the north slopes, but
very few patches of any size, and run outs are very short. Trekking poles
were a big help, but the ice patches were so short you'd hit bottom before
planting an ice axe. I never got mine out. Still, watch your step, as some
ice is hidden under dirt and leaves. Only got about an inch of fresh snow on
Friday, but if more snow falls it could affect ice on the trail.

AsABat

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---