[pct-l] revisionists

>> Looks to me like the lightweight backpacking "revolution" is facing its
first
revision. I was of the impression that the new breed was paring all
unnecessary gear from their packs and going with lighter alternatives for
the
necessary stuff. Now it seems that unnecessary gear is okay too as long as
it
is 'lightweight." Maybe I'm wrong, but communications from/to the wilderness

wasn't necessary just a few years ago, so why is it necessary now? <<

There's no change in philosophies for ultra-light hiking. Going light
doesn't mean giving up all non essential gear. It just means understanding
what is and isn't essential. A six pound tent or six pound pack isn't
essential to the success of a hike. However a one pound camera and pocket
mail device maybe essential to your success, if your plans are to remember
your adventure more than 5 minutes after getting home.

Even Ray carried a camera, though you'd never see it listed in his pack
weights.

-Fallingwater