[pct-l] John Muir Trail Questions

>From the context of your email, it sounds like you are starting in
Yosemite, so I will base my response on that assumption.

As far as getting to Yosemite, by far the easiest cheap way would be
to fly into San farncisco or Sacramento and take the Amtrak to
Merced.  From Merced, you can take the YARTS (Yosemite Area Rapid
Transit) to Yosemite Valley where the JMT starts.  There may be other
ways that will take less time, but that will be the cheapest and most
reliable.

As far as where to get out, that could raise 2 difficult issues:

1.  There is not really any reliable way out of the east side of the
Sierras anymore.  Last summer the Greyhound stopped running their LA
to Reno route up 395, which stopped at Lone Pine, Independence,
Bishop, Mammoth, and Lee Vining.  This sounds totally sketchy, but I
have done it several times: Hitch-Hike back to Lee Vining and take
the YARTS Shuttle back to Yosemite Valley/Merced where you can then
get Amtrack back to SF or Sac. (You will actually have to take 3
shuttles because the east shuttle stops at Tuolumne Meadows, where
you will have to get anithe shuttle to Yosemite Valley, then another
back to Merced).

2.  The other issue is where to stop in 9 days.  This all depends on
how much ground you can cover in 9 days.  I have done the entire JMT
in 9 days, but going ultra-light.  There is no way I could have done
it with traditional weights.  Anyway, I would say that your best bet
would be to leave via VVR if that is about how much distance you
could cover.  The Muir Trail Ranch does not really cater to hikers
(they have cabins that they chare $125/night for and charge a $45
pick up fee for hiker packages)  In addition, the Muir Trail Ranch is
really far from any roads and the only way in is via a really rough
jeep road.  VVR is a little (not much) more accessible and there will
likely be people ther who can give you a ride.

Lastly, there was a post on this list a few months ago about new
transportation options along 395, try searching the archives.

Good luck.  BTW, I am planning on doing the JMT again this year in
late aug or early sept.  when are you going?

peace,
dude in tx