From: David hiking PCNST in bits [mailto:pcnst@oakapple.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 4:39 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] purity wars

> I'll probably start a war over this one, but here it goes.

We haven't had a "purity" argument in a while, since Brian finished.
I propose that anybody who wants somebody else to have a
pure hike be placed at Campo
at his/her choice of time of year with no more manufactured goods
than a stone ager would have, namely a deerskin suit/shoes and maybe an
obsidian knife, and then allowed to migrate to Manning as quickly as
possible for the rest of his life, with only natural resupply along the way.

Each year at ADZ we'll get a report on their progress.  To ease
things, we could request, for all licensed pure hikers,
a congressional exemption from all laws except
the Ten Commandments, so they don't have to
worry about permits, endangered species, filing income taxes, etc.
Of course they're not allowed to use constructed trails or roads,
only game trails, especially in the San Diego County chaparal.

> what time it is to the second, what the weather will be for the next
minute
> to week, what the trail conditions are over the next 100 miles updated
every
> hour, and you never, ever come even close to getting lost?

Actually getting used to knowing too much tends to make one more vulnerable
when those systems fail.    Fortunately, most of us know from experience
that wrong turns still get made even with the best of technology.
Socializing with other hikers as one goes along leads to all sorts of
inattentiveness.      Then when the mistake is realized it has to be
undone somehow.

I'll keep my watch please, my headlamp, and my digital cameras, for my
battery-powered items.

Despite all these techno wonders, though, still only somewhere below 300
northbounders made it last year (might be closer to 100) and only
one southbounder, according to claims made on pct-l.   It's still pretty
hard.