[pct-l] Vermilion Valley needs your help

On the subject of getting bear cans back to you at the
VVR --

Would it be possible to enter into a partnership with
the Tuolomne Meadows people or the Red's Meadow
Resort, as far as renting bear cans goes?  Northbound
hikers could pick up their can from the VVR and leave
it at one of those other two locations; then they
would rent it to a southbound hiker who'd bring it
back to you.  Just make sure that prospective JMT
hikers, who make up most of the southbounders, become
aware of this service.  Not all of them subscribe to
this list, I'd guess.  If the PCTA still has a page
dedicated to the JMT, that'd be a good place to post
information, whatever sort of rental service you end
up providing.

As for costs, I can't recall what rental fees I've
seen in the past, but here's what I would do.  Require
a very steep refundable deposit, preferably on a
credit card, and steep enough that no one is going to
walk off to Canada with one of your cans.  $100,
perhaps?  The rental cost itself should be low enough
that nobody decides, "Forget it, I'm buying my own
can."  For me, the breakpoint would be 15-20 dollars.
Because you're catering to through-hikers, a flat rate
seems fairer than a per day charge.

Good luck, and hope you have an excellent season!  You
all have become as much a part of the PCT as the trail itself.