[pct-l] aether 60 packs & snow in WA

On Thu, 04 Apr 2002 11:39:36 -0600 "Thomas Vickers"
<tvickers@conroe.isd.tenet.edu> wrote:

A lot of places have last years Osprey Aether 60's (about 3500 cubic
inches)
and 3lbs on sale.
I have been tempted to try one, but wasn't sure how comfortable they are

TV

~~~~~~~~~
Pack:  I have an aether 60 and it is very comfortable.  Once you remove
the top hood and cut off the unnecessary straps and and do-dads and it
weighs in at 2 lbs 10 oz.  It can haul 40-45 lbs quite comfortably, which
will come in handy for hauling large quantities of water in So Cal and
extra mountain gear in the Sierras and Cascades.

Snow:  It's been a pretty big snow year in the Pacific NW, so be prepared
to have at least an ice axe and maybe crampons for the Packwood glacier
traverse in the Goat Rocks and Fire Creek Pass in Glacier Peak
Wilderness.  Red Pass will probably have snow too in September.  There's
no margin for error in either of these places, the runouts are filled
with big nasty boulders or crevasses.  Lots of folks get hurt in these
places.  Know how to use an ice axe and be ready to use it.  If you're a
novice with ice axes, I'd recommend a longer, >100 mm axe, as they're
much easier to control.  2 years ago an experienced climber died near
Snoqualmie Pass when he fell and got impailed on his 60 mm lightweight
axe.