[pct-l] Cabazon vs. Idyllwild resupply

Just thought i'd throw my 2 cents into this discussion.  Last year i decide
to skip Idyllwild and buy my supplies at Cabazon.  My primary reason for
skipping Idyllwild was that for me it was too early in my hike for a
layover.  After feasts at theWarner Springs Golf course and the
Pines-To-Palm Restaurant myself (AMAZING bacon cheese burger!) i didn't feel
i needed further feasts so bypassed Idyllwild.  If you need to do the
Idyllwild-thing then hitch from the Pines-To-Palm Highway.  For myself i
decided to make a dash for Cabazon.  If your going light (i had 15 lb pack)
you can make the distance in a little over 2 days.  I went from the highway
to Apache Springs the first day (first real climb of the hike), and on on
the second day got about 2/3 of the way DOWN the mountain on very tired
legs.  Next morning is an easy 10 miles to the highway.

When i arrived at the highway i headed straight for Cabazon, not knowing
about the Pink Palace.  I tried hitching but had no luck so i walked the 4.5
miles along the highway to Cabazon. BRUTAL. VERY BRUTAL. HOT. HOT. HOT.
Arriving at Cabazon i headed for the Denny's and drank about 2 gallons of
pop.  The Denny's staff treated me real well.  Bought food at the local gas
station (next to the dinosaurs) and then mind-melded with the dinosaurs (all
i heard was "PAIN").  Then i walked back to down the highway!!!!!!!  Bad,
actually, the worst hitch-hiking luck of my life.  Then started up the trail
again, not knowing where to go and feeling depressed because i was in a real
shit hole, when Don Middleton drives by in a truck and points me to the Pink
Palace. PARADISE.  At the Palace i met a bunch of strange AT hikers (you out
there yogi?!) and was in heaven.  The Pink Palace has got to be one of the
strangest and most welcomed "shelters" in all my years of hiking.  When i
got there i was thrashed, physically and mentally.  Simply put, it is
paradise in a wasteland.

If you are going to do the Cabazon resupply then hike to the Pink Palace
first, dump your stuff, relax a while, and then find a way up the highway.
Hopefully easier than me!

Yukon Pete

P.S.  start the hike from the Palace EARLY in the morning.  The 10 miles or
so to the Whitewater river is hot.  I started at noon (yes, i am an idiot)
with 1 liter of water and hiked most of the way with Elvis and Ingrid
Bergman at my side.  Man it was HOT.  My umbrella saved me.