From: "John"
Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2002 10:01 AM
Subject: Re: San Jacinto

The only trailheads on the west side of San Jacinto that were accessible by
car on Saturday were the Deer Springs Trail (off route 243) and the Marion
Mtn. trail (off Marion Mtn. rd.) The Black Mtn road leading the Fuller Ridge
trailhead was gated due to 'winter condx.', as was the Dark Canyon road,
leading to the Seven Pines trailhead. We opted for the shorter route, the
Marion Mtn. trail (5.25 mi.). Within the first mile, we encountered snow
patches on the trail. Apparently it snowed in this area 6 days before. The
entire west slope had quite a bit of snow, especially under the trees, but
on the trail it was well compacted. It was a bit slippery in places with a
thin layer of slush overlying harder snow/ice. Mountaineer boots
(waterproof) with a medium-stiff lug sole would be optimum footwear for
these condx. On the exposed slopes the snow had melted and the trail condx
were good, especially the 1.3 mi. from Little Round Valley to the top.
Little round valley had a reasonable amount of snow, but it was compacted
and easily traversed. The wx during the whole day was sunny and warm, ~65+
deg. On top, there was only the faintest breeze and it was warm. Two high
performance sail planes were soaring the San Jacinto ridge and buzzing the
peak at high speed within 100' of the top. I was amazed they were able to
stay aloft in such tranquil condx, but I guess they were able to work a
combination of slope lift and thermals. They were quite loud as they passed
overhead and we could easily see the faces of the pilots. It was very hazy
below ~7000' and quite clear above. We could clearly see Baldy, San G and
Cuyamaca. Took a
medium speed descent and got to the car a little after sunset (with
headlite!!). BILL, the snow is melting very fast in the warm conditions, and
with no new wx systems, the snow we encountered on this trail should be 75%
gone in one week. We talked to other hikers that came up from the tram and
up from Humber Park and Saddle Junction. They encountered about the same
condx as we did. 73's,