[pct-l] Tram resupply at Palm Springs

I am not a through hiker, and have never fussed with on-the-trail
resupply.  That being said, I've stumbled up and down the trail from
Saddle Junction to Humber Park in Idyllwild on numerous trips. It's
about 2.5 miles.  The trail is well maintained, and not overly
strenuous, just consistently up.  I allow an hour and a half to ascend,
an hour to descend.  But bear in mind that I usually climb it at the
beginning of a walk, fresh from sitting at a desk, and with a full
pack.  I think it's reputation as a butt kicker is overrated.  Hauser
canyon to Morena Butte in the afternoon sun...that's a butt kicker.  The
northern approach to Evolution valley...that's a butt kicker too.

In my opinion, Idyllwild would be good for resupply.  There are hiker
friendly motels offering discounts. The town is compact enough to
explore by foot.  There is an assortment of good eating spots.  There is
a pretty good gear shop in town.  The jelly-doughnut rangers are in
town, and should know the Fuller Ridge trail conditions.

One could, if one chose, to descend to Idyllwild and pick up a package,
and ascend to the PCT in a day.  Palm Springs would be a full two days,
and that's without relying on the vagaries of catching a ride.

Best of all, a hiker resupplying in Idyllwild would not have to descend
to the heat of the desert until Cabezon.

Eckert