[pct-l] L. A. area Easter Sunday Moonless Night Hike

Sorry for the late notice but I'm planning a night hike Easter Sunday to
Inspiration Point at the foot of Mt. Lowe. This was supposed to be a
moonrise hike but I just checked and the moon rises at 9:58 pm! We will
go up the Sam Merrill Trail from Altadena to Echo Mtn. and then up the
Castle Canyon Trail to Inspiration Point. The trail up to Echo Mtn. is 2
1/2 miles long, relatively easy, (OK, moderate for you who aren't used to
hiking up hill) and nice and smooth. The trail from there to Inspiration
Point is steeper and rougher, 2 miles long but has great scenery! This
would be moderate to difficult, depending on your fitness level. Total
elevation gain is about 2800 feet.

The view from Inspiration Point is fabulous on a clear evening, the whole
L.A. basin is spread out below and if the air is clear, you can see the
lights all the way to PV Peninsula. It will be getting dark as we get to
the top. Due to the rough trail and tree cover, lights will be allowed
(and recommended)! We will be coming down in the dark on the Castle
Canyon Trail and will need lights. The Sam Merrill Trail down from Echo
Mtn. should be well lit by the glow from the city, I don't think we will
need lights there.

Meeting time at the trail head will be 4:20, location is the north end of
Lake Ave. in Altadena. From the 210 freeway go north on Lake Ave. all the
way to the end. Loma Alta Drive starts there and goes left, on the right
is a stone archway which is where we will meet. There is on street
parking on both streets. I would like to be hiking by 4:30.

Please confirm by email or phone so I know to look for you, thanks (also
if you want to car pool from the South Bay).

Vic Hanson
310-787-7245

PS  Stay tuned for Iron Mtn. IV, an overnighter on Apr. 21,22!