[pct-l] trail safety

Hmm, I haven't seen women responding so I thought I would pipe up.

While I haven't yet hiked the PCT (next year, probably), I have done quite a
bit of hiking alone.  I thruhiked the AT in 1999 and while I didn't leave
with anyone, I met all sorts of people along the way and often did hike with
them.  But even there, quite a bit of my hiking was when I was alone and
there were times when there wasn't aybody in particular expecting me to be
anywhere.

I've also traveled and been hiking solo in various locations throught the
US, Europe, and even a bit in Asia.

I don't realy feel that there are any issues for women on the trail that are
any different than anywhere else.  As a matter of fact, once you're away
from the trailheads, I feel safer on the trail than most other places.  But
then, having lived near Boston for 15 years and traveled all over the place,
I just automatically try to stay aware of my surroundings and anyone else
who happens to be around.

Mara

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor