[pct-l] Illegal Immigrants

Thought I'd share an experience I had last Saturday.

While on a day hike on the PCT on March 23  I ran into a group of 9 illegal
immigrants.  A couple friends and I had just headed north at about 7:00am on
the PCT from Boulder Oaks campground to Mt Laguna and were still in sight of
interstate 8 when we rounded a corner and there they were . . . heading
South on the trail.  They stopped and asked us for directions to San Diego
(fortunately one of the members of our group spoke Spanish since they didn't
speak a word of English).  Apparently they had spent the night in 30-35
degree weather with nothing but the clothes on their backs . . . which
wasn't much.  None of them carried so much as a backpack or wore clothes
heavier then a windbreaker.  They were clearly lost and I was surprised to
see them so far north on the trail (roughly 30 miles north of the border) .
. . not to mention that they were heading South on the trail.  We informed
them that they were approximately 45 miles from San Diego.  They seemed
happy to hear this and departed Southbound with smiles on their faces saying
'gracias amigos'. At no point did we feel threatened for our safety.

Sure made for some interesting discussions the rest of the morning.

Anyway, the point I'd like to make is that they seemed more interested in
getting to San Diego then bothering with us.

-Keith