[pct-l] Re: camera

--- David hiking PCNST in bits <pcnst@oakapple.net>

> In one of his books, Colin Fletcher recounted the
> great freedom he discovered
> the trip his camera broke and he could just enjoy
> the moment without attempting
> to record it.

Very interesting idea. Not once have I ever considered
not taking a camera. I took slides using an Olympus
Stylus on my AT thru-hike until the camera stopped
working in Port Clinton. I had my mom ship me my
Advantix, planning to take prints until my Olympus was
fixed ... and I didn't get the Olympus back until long
after I got to Springer. Only last week did I finally
have a selection of Advantix prints made into slides
to complete my as-yet-unseen AT slide show.

All in all, the whole camera thing ended up causing me
a bit of grief. Since I'm hiking on the PCT with a
partner who carries a digital camera, maybe I'll leave
my (now-fixed Olympus) camera at home. What a novel
idea. :)

Nina