[pct-l] Tsampa --Tibetan food for hiking

At 12:52 PM 3/25/02, Frank Kroger wrote:
>I am going to be using TSAMPA as a staple during my (first) through hike
>this year.

Not to disrespect your choice, but IMHO using ANY single food as a
substantial portion of your diet is a bad idea. Especially a food based on
a single grain. Not enough fat, not enough protein, not enough variety

I think those who attempted the PCT using Corn Pasta as a "staple" will
attest to that, and many will attest to the large quantities of corn pasta
discarded in the Hiker Boxes......

It sounds like you may have moral or spiritual reasons for choosing this
food, and more power to you for that, but I'd be really surprised if you
had not given up on it by Big Bear. Grain mush just isn't that satisfying,
no matter how "whole grain" or "organic" it is. There is a reason that
Flyin' Bryan ate lots of Snickers bars

I've had my share of tsampa and dall bhat, and I have no question why my
Nepali guide liked the candy bars I shared with him.......

Respectfully

--
Brick Robbins

All that is gold does not glitter,