[pct-l] Tsampa --Tibetan food for hiking

Hello,

I am going to be using TSAMPA as a staple during my (first) through hike this year.

TSAMPA is a Tibetan food. I came across TSAMPA in Nepal. It is a flour that is made by grinding roasted barley kernels. It is eaten by making it into a paste with hot or cold liquid.  TSAMPA can be made from other grains, such as wheat or corn, but then it needs to be cooked before it can be eaten. The resulting paste can be made more or less liquid as desired.  TSAMPA can be mixed with liquids such water, tea or soup.

I feel fortunate to have found a source for TSAMPA in the North America:

http://bodhistore.com/tsampa_roasted_barley.html

David Thomson is in charge of the Bodhistore. The store is located in Illinois.  10% of the proceeds from Tsampa sales go to Tibetan aid projects.  Having sponsored a Tibetan refugee through the Tibetan Resettlement Project I can appreciate this fact.

David says he uses 1/3 cup per serving.

Since  a major portion of the expense of getting TSAMPA is the shipping cost, and since this cost per unit can be lowered by shipping larger quantities, I am proposing to act as an order taker and organizer for the PCT list and to deliver TSAMPA ordered now, at the PCT Kick Off event, April 27th. I will also be introducing TSAMPA at the event by making samples available.

If you have questions or would like to order please email me off-list at fkroger1999@yahoo.com

Frank (Berkeley CA)