[pct-l] RE: PCT-L digest, Vol 1 #442 - 16 msgs

SnoLepard -
  Howdy from Vancouver.  Sorry to have missed your gig, but Portland is a
ways from here!  Hope to do it up right when we get to Portland, however!
  You asked about slide film.  I used to always use K64 as well (it was the
defacto standard in slide film for many years).  There is a big move away
from it, however, because of the nasty chemicals needed to develop it and
because film technology has advanced so that E6 processed films are much
better.  I've been using more of the super saturated color slide films of
late, most notably:  Kodak's E100VS (nice), Fuji Velvia ... but I've decided
on taking only Fuji Pro Astia on our thru-hike.  It has a bit faster speed
than Velvia (don't need to set up a tripod as often) and reports are that it
is LESS grainy.  I see no drawback ... but it does come with the caveat that
flesh tones are not rendered as well as some other films.  NO problem for me
because I'll do very little portraiture on the hike.  You can check out
Astia reviews on the 'net.
  I did some surfing for prices and found www.bhphoto.com to be great.  Buy
it in pro-packs (20-rolls) for $85(US).  Not bad!  I also got prepaid
processing mailers there too.  Here's the link:
http://www03.bhphotovideo.com/default.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivat
or__Aproductlist_html___129723___FUA1003620___USA___CatID=337___SID=ECF83B6B
F90 (short link!)
  Hope this helps.
  Moving out of the apartment NOW!  See you on the trail.
-Scott (and Rachel)