[pct-l] Slide Film

I used to use Kodachrome, both 25, 64 and 200, but now I use mostly Fuji. Altough I liked the Kodachrome colors I'm not an expert, and perfectly happy with the Fuji Provia 100F I buy now (when available). Can't really say if it's "better" (or the best - if that exist) or not, but it's a film that's received pretty good reviews.

I've got three reasons for not using Kodachrome anymore.
* The first is developing time. Here in Norway (last I tried) it was more than a week, more like two. Ectachrome/Fuji is two days, often less.
* The second is scannng. I scan many pictures with a Nikon scanner, and it doesn't handle Kodachrome as easy as other films. print film is even easier to scan.
* Third is availablity. As I don't live in the US it's inconvenient to buy all my film in advance. Don't like to carry 40 rolls, and a driftbox isn't that convenient either - and try finding Kodachrome on the trail...

And then - thruhiking and films. On thruhikes I've pretty much bought what's available. Even had to use print film a couple of times (excelent except when you're doing a slide show). What I've ended up with has mostly been Ectachrome. Fuji is harder to find, and I use it when I find it. But can't say it's that much of a difference. What makes a lot more difference is film speed. On my AT hike I used mostly ISO 200-400 film. On the PCT only ISO 100. And I'm much happier with the PCT pictures. Might of course be partly differences in light.
On the AT it's often extremely high contrast because the sun filters thru the trees. If I hike on the AT again I might use print film which handles high contrast much better.
On the PCT the terrain generally is much more open so you get less contrast.

Hope this help

Svein