[pct-l] San Diego Area Hiking

At 10:17 AM 3/20/02, Steve Courtway wrote:
>Since the Nobel Canyon Trail is the most popular downhill
>mountain bike route in San Diego County, I am pleased that
>Brick can still call it his favorite.......

And exactly why is that distinction make the trail worthy of your derision?

Does multi-use detract from the trail somehow? You might also object to me
running by......

I think it is a great trail:

The tread is well maintained (the bike clubs take care of it.) There is no
more litter than any other trail (I almost never see any). The environment
extremely varied with everything from pine forests to chaparral, to
riparian areas. It is cool in the summer. The creek flows year round. There
is history with the CCC cabin foundation and the mining remains. It is
close to town. There is water at the top, or half way (mile eleven) since I
always start at the bottom . With about 2400' of gross elevation changes,
it is a good workout.

I try to avoid midday on weekends (about 9am-3pm), when the mountain bikers
are out in full force, but early or late on weekends and mid-week sharing
the trail is not a problem. 90% of the bikers are pretty cool. Personally,
I have had more problems interacting with the horses.

Last Sunday I did run midday (I didn't want to be that cold), and I only
saw about 6 bikes, but that is probably because one needed chains to get to
the upper trailhead......
--
Brick Robbins                       mailto:brick@fastpack.com